This is some blog description about this site
Bentwood Bride Boxes
I have a very interesting Bentwood Bride box for sale in my ebay store. View the item in my ebay store.
It is aptly named Bentwood because the box maker would use water to shape the wood into an oblong box. From what I can tell, husbands used to purchase these for their wives on their wedding day to use to store treasures or wedding memories in. In many European cities, there was a position in each town as the box maker/decorator. That was his job. The one I have for sale is on consignment and is expected to date back to mid 19th century Europe.
I would love to know the story of this great box. Early Bentwood Bride's Box with blue paint.
- Beautiful floral sides, paint decorated bride's box.
- 18"L by 12" w, by 7" h
- Northern European oval box
- Lidded box with split cane lacings, some loss
- Polychrome paint- some water marks on top
- Remnant of bride and groom on lid with words on top edge
- This is more than likely bent spruce
- Paint wear, be sure to inspect all pictures carefully. Raised split on bottom of box, could be fixed. There is naturally a split there, but needs to be straightened a bit.